11/4/10

I shoulda known better......

So, I have a lot going on these days. They're all good things and I like to be busy but things can also get a little overwhelming at times......hence the statement above "I shoulda known better".....

This afternoon the boys were playing pretty decent together (and by decent I mean no screaming, yelling or fighting in the last 15 minutes) so I decided to run upstairs, put Ali down for a nap and then work on some sewing orders that needed done. In my head I was thinking 'just 10 minutes, that's all I need, 10 minutes to cut, pin and sew a couple things, that'll get me one step closer to the end goal'. So, I throw Ali in her crib (not really, but kind of) and run into my room. I start sewing...things are going beautifully, I can hear the boys playing nicely, laughing, playing "guys", being silly together. Then, I realize things are a little quieter, but I can still hear them, all is good. A few more minutes pass, I'm actually getting something done (this usually never happens, normally I don't even attempt to sew while the boys are running around b/c usually it doesn't work out.....again, the statement above "I shoulda known better"). Then I notice that it's reeeeeeally quiet and suddenly that mother's instinct kicks in. I literally jump up from my sewing chair and sprint down the stairs. And what do I see? Drew and Reed sitting on the floor (which right now is just the sub-floor/plywood; we have all the carpet and linoleum ripped up on the main level, getting ready to lay hardwood floors) playing with one of daddy's MANY tools that is lying around the house right now during this project. Now, of course they're not playing with pliers or a level, no...they're playing with one of those chalk line thingys and they have RED CHALK all over themselves, all over the floor, all over the wall, all over their clothes, their faces, their hands, their socks, tracked all over the ENTIRE first floor! YUP! If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's a little tool that's used to chalk out lines for drywall, or any kind of measuring when building and it's this dark, dark red chalky substance that STAINS your hands and clothes and EVERYTHING it touches! I literally stood there speechless and had no idea what to say. I'm not gonna lie though, it didn't take me very long to figure out something to say!!!! I was gone for MAYBE 5 full minutes!!! The boys got an earfull and then they got stripped naked and I proceeded to use almost an entire package of wipes to clean them off because I was NOT going to go upstairs and run a bath and chance waking Ali up.

Wanna know what I did next? I called DADDY and said "Scott, remember last night when you were chalking out lines on the floor with that red chalk thing? Remember when I told you to make sure that you put it somewhere that the boys wouldn't find it and get into it? Remember when you said 'oh Erica, they won't get into that'.......? WELL, YOU WERE WRONG!"

Wanna know what daddy said? "seriously? did you get a picture?"

ARRRRGGGGGHHH!!!!!

I shoulda known better.....

ps- NO, I did NOT get a picture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, for some reason I could feel myself getting anxious reading this! haha! Naughty little boys:)

Emily (Blue Chair Blessing) said...

I want a picture! haha! if it makes you feel any better, kinsley colored all over our cabinets yesterday with a PURPLE crayon!